St. Mark Lutheran Church ELCA of Belleville, IL, is currently seeking applicants for the position of Director of Choirs. This is a part-time position. Please send a resume and completed application form to: St. Mark Lutheran Church, Attn. Worship Committee, 105 E. D Street, Belleville IL 62220; or email the application (found below) and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and put Attn. Worship Committee in the subject line. Any questions contact John Andersen at: (618) 791-2097. The application deadline is: April 24, 2019.
Job Title: Director of Choirs
Part-time: Averages 20 -24 hours per month
Accountability: Pastor and Worship Committee
Qualifications and Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in Music, Church Music or other related degree is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrate experience in choral music and familiarity with conducting techniques.
- Demonstrate experience in Hand Bell music. If not experienced, show a willingness to learn and develop the necessary skills.
- Demonstrate or develop knowledge of the appropriate use of music in Lutheran worship.
- Demonstrate a willingness to work well with others and participate collegially with the Pastor, Worship Committee, and Congregational leaders of St. Mark and St. Georges Congregations.
- As a member of the Worship Committee, the Director of Choirs shall plan music for the Adult Choir and Bell Choir based on the liturgical seasons of the Church year and select Hymns for all worship services utilizing available resources such as Sundays and Seasons.
- Working with the Worship Committee, arrange for musicians for special services and for music during the summer while the Voice and Bell choirs are not active.
- Schedule and conduct weekly rehearsals of the Voice and Bell choirs beginning in September and continuing through Holy Trinity Sunday. Rehearsals shall be a minimum of 1 hour in length for each of the Choirs.
- Direct the Voice and Bell Choirs during worship services or arrange for a substitute director if unable to attend.
- Maintain the Music Library and supervise the maintenance of all musical instruments owned by St. Mark Church.
- Communicate in a timely manner with the Church Organist on a regular basis regarding hymn selection and other musical offerings.
- Cooperate with the staff of St. Georges Episcopal Church, Rector and Music Director to facilitate mutual goals and harmony.
- Continue to grow as a Church Director of Choirs to keep abreast of new developments in the field of Lutheran Church Music and Worship.